What! Yes, if you have overripe plantains at home rather than have they wasted, make ice cream. The caramelization of the roasted plantain adds a depth of flavor and richness, and it is yummy.
Makes: 1 quart
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 large plantains roasted
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- A dash of cinnamon
- Mash the roasted plantain in a bowl and remove the stringy center
In a saucepan, bring to a simmer, the milk, honey, cream, and cinnamon, Do not boil it.
- Take it off the heat; whisk the egg yolks with sugar until thick and yellow.
- Add a portion of the cream mix into the egg mix whipping constantly
When half the portion is added, add the mashed plantain and whisk through.
- Pour the remaining cream and mix well.
- Pour in a churner or set in the freezer covering the top with a film to prevent any skin from forming.
- Serve when it is done.