This recipe is inspired by cooks and homemakers in Nicaragua, and the shredded beef is tender and delicious.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 3 tbsp. of oil, olive
- 1 cut onion – 1/2 of onion sliced lengthways and 1/2 sliced in
- 1 pepper, red – 1/2 of pepper sliced lengthways and 1/2 sliced in
- 1/2 sliced lengthways green pepper
- 2 sliced lengthways tomatoes, medium
- 2 lbs. cut in three pieces flank steak
- 1/2 bitter orange, juice only
- 2 1/2 cups of stock, beef
- Salt, kosher and pepper, ground, as desired
- 1/4 cup ketchup, low sodium
- 1 tbsp. mustard, yellow
- 1/2 tbsp. achiote – dilute in a bit of broth
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, reduced sodium
- 2 garlic cloves
- Season flank steak as desired. Place all three steak pieces in inner liner of Instant Pot.
- Add large wedges of onion, large wedges of green pepper, whole garlic and beef stock.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot. Turn Steam Release valve to the Sealing setting. Cook on Manual setting for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove lid carefully. Remove steak from broth.
- Reserve broth in separate container.
- Allow beef to rest for several minutes. Shred it.
- Return inner liner to Instant Pot. Click on Sauté setting.
- Add oil. Wait till panel in front reads Hot.
- Once Instant Pot has beeped, add lengthways sliced onions, tomatoes and Cook for three to five minutes, till barely tender.
- Add shredded beef back to inner liner. Mix vegetables and beef.
Add one or two cups of the reserved broth to beef.
- Add diluted achiote, mustard, ketchup, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Season as desired.
- Sauté for three to five minutes more. If sauce seems dry, you can add a little more of the reserved stock